12 Sept 2017

Hospital Humour – from personal experience

Some of you may be wondering why I have not been out and about recently continuing my food reviews. Unfortunately I had to undergo major spinal surgery to relieve pressure on my spinal cord. Thankfully I am recovering although slowly and with very limited mobility for a while. In the meantime, I am re-visiting my reviews and grouping them into top 5 choices taken from my secret marking system!  So while mentioning hospitals and just for fun, here are a few humorous aspects of my time there.
Having spent a little over nine weeks in hospital, I am now enjoying some aspects of simple life previously taken for granted. To say I enjoyed my stay would be an over-statement, but it’s the little things that make the difference making it easier to accept, especially from hospital staff for whom I have the highest regard.



Here are some incidences that I miss, and some that I certainly don’t, but they continue to humour me.
·         Having to lie flat on my back in bed and finding that hospital beds are made for midgets
·         Not having to recite my name date of birth and serial number to take medication, although I did it at home the first time!
·         The sudden and swift opening of the curtains with a loud “Good Morning” – but always with a smile.
·         Being woken at regular hours during the night to check your “obs”, and getting back to sleep only to be woken again to take medication.
·         Wondering if anyone really did actually order prunes for breakfast, they are always on the menu!
·         Noting that both your physio’s were expecting, so not exerting either in case they went into labour, as if they were going to be able catch me anyway -  done one emergency childbirth…..never again!
·         Consistently meeting a nurse whilst doing ‘what only I can do’ – the bathroom doubled as a store room!
·         Ordering in advance from the meals menu, and then trying to remember what you had ordered.




                                                          



·         Trying to keep your dessert ice cream frozen when it is served with a hot meal on a hot tray.
·         Trying to do ‘sit to stands’ in time to very weird music (was it rap?) in the gym. Just didn’t get the rhythm.
·         Playing ‘hide n seek’ with the nurses when it was time for medication. They found me in some interesting locations.
·         Providing a target (large) for nightly injections, and seeing the sheer delight of those administering the jab.
·         Trying to guess which colour /style of boots a certain Doctor would be wearing each day, a great collection, AND guessing the daily changes of hairstyle from other regular staff.
·         Seeing the speed at which the Allied Health Assistants moved when you pointed the shower rose at them.
·         Being in desperate need of caffeine, trying to substitute a blend of instant coffee for the real thing, it just doesn’t work. 
·         Being asked every 8 days if I had lost weight, just to see what happened I said yes…… ONCE!   Oh the chaos!




Seriously though, and as I have said, I have the greatest regard and respect for all who work and volunteer in hospitals, they do a great job under difficult circumstances. If there is one thing that keeps both staff and patients going it is a good sense of humour. I hope the above caused a smile.


Image sources pinterest.com

No comments:

Post a Comment