5 Sept 2017

My top five choices.....for a meal out

Having been unable to continue with my eating quest around Gippsland for a number of months, and still being somewhat restricted with mobility, I thought I would choose my favourite places to eat, and drink, from those I have reviewed over the last couple of years. 

While attempting to provide a positive outlook in all reviews published, and little does anyone know that I have a secret scorecard, (which will remain secret I might add). When I eat out only those who score over 50% make it to a published review. I will let slip that there are nine scoring categories, importance weighted and making up a top score of 100. It is difficult to fairly score a coffee lounge against a full on restaurant, but that system seems to work well so far. So here goes, to start with the first instalment…. 

Going out for a meal, a lunch or dinner, sit down stuff with full service, I am sure you know the drill.  In no particular order then, my favourties are:

View from Pier 70 tables
Lake at Tamberrah Windmill Restaurant
Bowling Club - Bairnsdale
Ferryman's at Night
Tinamba Hotel


Pier 70 - Paynesville, a superb location, light and bright décor, full service and really good food.  To recall my review comments; “Pier 70 would hold its own in any major city – sensational” adding that “One of the best locations in the area with a waterside deck and view from most tables, spotless and well-presented/decorated, staffed by very pleasant and attentive staff with a smile. Menu and food quality would hold its own in Melbourne or any other city is good value for money, not cheap, but you get what you pay for and more.


Tinamba Hotel – Tinamba,  who would have thought that a small village would have a dining experience of this quality and style. If only I lived closer I would be there far more often. No wonder Tinamba continues to get rave reviews. Again from my visit in March this year, “  A unique mix of quality culinary sophistication in a venue with a hint of opulence but still unpretentious.” Furthermore, “This is indeed a dining experience to be savoured, to be enjoyed and to be remembered for all the right reasons.  Make time (our lunch was over two hours!), make the effort to travel, make a booking, and if you are short of company, I would be happy to make up the numbers!” Those comments still hold true today, I’m just itching to go back.


Ferryman’s Seafood Café – Lakes Entrance,  now those who know me are aware that I am a weekly visitor here, for at least a coffee and scone. What is also true is that I love going for a meal. Ferryman’s has converted me to seafood although they also serve a variety of meat dishes, recalling one of my visits there, “Relax on this floating piece of history, enjoy seafood specialities overlooking the fishing fleet”, adding that, “A great venue with views over the water – comfortable and relaxing.  A varied and changing menu of quality food so well cooked and presented – deliciously satisfying.  Good service and top value – professional successful.  This venue has been around for a while and you can see why.”

                          

Tamberrah Windmill Restaurant & Cottages – Nicholsen,  a little out of the way, even off the beaten track, but so well worth a visit. Food here is based around their pizzas which are delicious but they also have an Italian based menu to back them up. This is a family favourite and I recall noting that, “enjoyable restful lunch in idyllic surroundings, enjoying the fruits of the labours of local people in a beautiful location, very good value for money and ideal for groups”.  Tamberrah is well known locally for their superb quality pizzas, what is less well known is that they also serve a well varied Italian inspired menu and Devonshire Teas  showcasing home-made scones, one of my favourites with jam and cream. 
                          

Bairnsdale Bowling Club – Grant St Bairnsdale,  where you may ask, there I will tell you, Grant Street, yes it’s a club, and a club atmosphere, but, and it is a big but, it serves a very good quality lunch or dinner at very reasonable prices. I have visited on a number of occasions and have never walked out hungry. Recalling that, “The extensive menu and generous servings provided at a very reasonable tariff will enhance your visit.  This could be busy in the evenings so for a special occasion or to ensure a table I suggest you pre book. Recommend for lunch, relaxing tasty and top value.  It is comfortable and ideal for group bookings etc, a relaxed atmosphere, well laid out tables and some with a view of the bowling greens. Service was friendly and professional." 

 

So there you have it, the first of a number of installments listing my favourite places to spend and hour or two,


To while away a relaxing afternoon or evening over a meal, a coffee, lunch or a burger, to enjoy the local scenery or chat to the locals,
 

It's all about enjoying the region in which we live, sampling the local faire and supporting local business. Where ever you go to eat, whatever you sample on the menu, take a moment to think of all the work that has gone in to serving you a meal.

Stand by for the next installment.


JAM 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment