30 Sept 2018

An Evening with "Albert"

Well finally I managed to go for an evening meal at Albert & Co. I have written a few reviews on what can now be considered this Lakes Entrance icon, but this I have to admit, is the first time I have managed to go for a full evening meal. Was it worth it, read on to find out.
There is just something soothing about watching the sun go down over a fishing fleet and on this night it went quickly and quietly and from our table viewing to the south and west.


I will not repeat my normal explanation of Albert & Co suffice to say it is clean well managed has all the facilities you would want and is comfortable not only in the dining area bit also in the lounge area and bar adjacent. Lets get into the real reason I go there FOOD !

Interestingly not a large menu, but one set with a wide range of options to suit almost all tastes.  I can cheat here as the entire menu is regularly posted on the Albert & Co facebook page  so its simple to find out what is on offer.

                                                

There you have it a well rounded menu at a top value price. Did the food match up to expectations?

What did we order?   Entree, Chicken Dumplings, and the Soup of the Day which was described as a lamb shank and ham hock with vegetables. The dumplings were superb, light tasty morsels and with a dipping sauce at the base which added a delightful tang and twist to the gentle taste of the dumpling filling and it's steamed "jacket". Served well on the plate and ready to eat good and hot.
Chicken Dumpling
The soup was a very generous serve and on the side slices of lightly charred bread and a swipe of butter. The bread had this light and pleasant char taste to its normal flavour and with the addition of the butter was enjoyable on its own. But there again I love fresh quality bread. The soup was thick hot with a good depth of flavour. I could taste the lamb and the ham with almost every spoonful, this was augmented by vegetable including I will suggest some chick peas which again added to the depth of flavour and taste sensations. Very enjoyable very filling!

Lamb Shank Ham Hock with Vegetable Soup

Now for the main, sorry to disappoint those who wanted a review of two mains, but we both went for the porterhouse steak, one with the pepper sauce one without. Lets go to the jugular, the steak, a generous portion, we both requested medium, and they were served medium but I would say right on the well done end of that range. Still medium though, when I go back, I will probably ask for medium rare, not mooing but just dead! It was none the less enjoyable, a good cut of meat, still juicy and with no wastage. For me, I don't mind a little fat on the edges as I feel it adds to the flavour, but there again it is personal taste and you certainly don't waste a thing here. The addition of the pepper sauce was a great finish to the meat, it was indeed creamy and peppery and I could have had a jug full ! Oui le sauce?  As for the vegetables, the carrots were still firm as were the beans which still had their crunch, both sitting on a generous bed of creamy mash. Did we enjoy our steaks, I will let a picture tell the tale.
Porterhouse  Steak
Now for the desserts, although we were only going to have two courses, we enjoyed the first two so much we thought lest go for the trifecta, so we did. The citrus panna cotta was the perfect end to "The Bosses" meal, light, tangy, fresh and cleansing on the palate, it was set well and yes it did wobble. What more can be said, just perfect. 
Citrus Panna Cotta
The blueberry and coconut crumble served with vanilla ice cream was my choice. Served in a ramikin and hot it was full of fruit including some apple, was crunchy on top and when I added the vanilla ice cream was a top taste. The crumble itself was light yet a solid base holding the fruit together, the ice cream with a very good vanilla bean taste was creamy and rich. They together made a desert I would order any day and everyday of the week. 


So there you have it  a great three course meal all served by smart professional staff who were attentive but not over the top. Our drinks were served to the table as was coffee as well as anywhere and better than most. Oh yes did I enjoy my steak........here is your answer!



I consider this to have been a very good value for money three course meal which was around $60 a head including drinks. These days that is great value in a great venue. keep up the good work Matt and all his staff.

By the way I popped in for a coffee this morning, they were flat out busy with a lounge room almost full waiting for tables, but the cheese scones are AWESOME !!  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment